Castle Tioram is a ruined castle sited upon the tidal island of Eilean Tioram. The Castle is surrounded by a pentagonal curtain wall dating from 13th, and served as a home and stronghold of the Clan Ranalds. This impressive and romantic castle has witness a turbulent history reflecting the struggles, allegiances and diverse fortunes of the Clan. The Castle was garrisoned by Government troops in the late 1700s. It was later recaptured by Allan, the 14th Clan chief, in 1715 who set the castle alight to prevent it falling into the hands of the Government during the Jacobite uprising.